Shutting down Apple iPad and turning it back on to restart is not difficult. However, there are slight deviations in the procedure depending on the device generation and design. Here we have summarized the key combinations for restarting the Apple iPad for all previous models. The intermediate steps include turning the tablet off (for storage or transport), turning it on (for use after storage), and restarting it as a combination of the two (to fix a problem or apply a setting).
Restart iPad with home button: Here's how!
Since the iPad was first introduced in 2010, many of the models that have appeared since then have had a round button under the display - the so-called home button. This is no longer present in all versions of the tablet, which is why the procedure for switching off, switching on and restarting has changed. But more on that below. Here are the instructions for restarting the iPad on devices with a home button:
- Press and hold the top button (power or standby button) until the display shows the "Power off" slider
- Move the slider to the right and wait at least 30 seconds to ensure the device is completely shut down
- Now press and hold said button until the Apple logo appears to turn the iPad back on and load iPadOS
Restart iPad without home button: How it works!
Although the home button does not play a direct role in switching the Apple tablet on and off, this design element does show what action is required. If the front of the device consists only of the display and there is no home button on the iPad, then the restart can be implemented using the top button and one of the volume buttons. Here are the detailed steps used to turn off, turn on and restart iPad without home button:
- Press and hold the top button (power or standby button) and one of the volume buttons until the display shows the "Power off" slider
- Move the slider to the right and wait at least 30 seconds to ensure the device has completely shut down
- Press and hold the top button until the Apple logo appears to turn iPad back on and load iPadOS
Switch off iPad without buttons: Use iPadOS settings
If the buttons on the iPad no longer respond, are broken or cannot be operated for motor reasons, the Apple tablet can also be switched off via the display. So unless there is a system error that makes it impossible to operate the device via the touch display, the iPadOS settings can also be used to switch off the Apple iPad without buttons:
- Open the Settings app via the home screen or the app library
- In the list that opens, tap on the "General" menu item
- Scroll all the way down and ignore the items displayed up to that point
- Now tap on “Switch off”.
- Confirm the procedure using the slider and let the iPad shut down
More information and new instructions for updated models: Apple support document